Tuesday , December 18 2018
Home / New Mexico Marijuana News / UNM to Offer a ‘Cannabis and Communication’ Course in 2019

UNM to Offer a ‘Cannabis and Communication’ Course in 2019

Cannabis

In the spring of 2019 a new course will be offered at the University of New Mexico: Cannabis and Communication. The goal of the course is to learn how to communicate the health and medical issues involving marijuana.

The course is also going to teach students how to properly address interpersonal communication, according to The University of New Mexico. Political communication will be a part of the teaching along with entertainment media and journalism. The class will only be available for up to 120 students.

Professor for the course, Tamar Ginossar said, “Marijuana is an important, controversial and emerging topic in the U.S. and globally. Our goal is to introduce UNM students in all majors to the department and the fields of communication and journalism by engaging them in exploring some of the many different communicative dimensions of marijuana. For example, we will examine elements of intercultural communication, coverage of marijuana in the news as well as new media — digital/social — as a political issue, and from a health communication perspective.”

Ginossar also said, “The class is unique and innovative, and it offers UNM students the opportunity to engage with communication theories and perspectives on a relevant and emerging topic. Although some universities are including cannabis-related courses in their curricula, to our knowledge this is the first time that a university is providing a course that examines cannabis through an introductory communication course that is open to all students and is relevant to all majors.”

The course will account for 3 credit hours. It’s already on the University’s schedule to take place in Mitchell Hal on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The class will be from 2 p.m. until 3:15 p.m. Those interested in the course are encouraged to apply as soon as possible for potential enrollment since the enrollment is so limited.